Philosophy of the Programme
The philosophy of the programme is to foster excellence in physics, creativity and innovation, academic freedom, professionalism and integrity through quality scholarly and research. This is in line with the University of Nairobi philosophy which is guided by the need to connect and inspire the Kenyan community, to provide leadership and stewardship and to give hope and faith to the Kenyan society so that it can excel in the whatever it chooses to do so with passion, moral responsibility and a strong sense of patriotism.
Rationale of the Programme
This is a revised Ph.D Program that aims at providing sufficient basis for specialization in the various distinct areas of Physics as a subject. It captures the strengths of the Department in terms of expertise and infrastructure. Areas of specialization have been grouped as below for award of Doctorate degree:
- Theoretical Physics
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Electronics and Instrumentation
- Nuclear and Radiation Physics
- Laser Physics and Spectroscopy
- GIS and Remote Sensing
- Astrophysics and Space Science
The goal of the programme is to train high-level and competent research scholars and, in many cases, future university faculty members personnel with the relevant knowledge and refined skills in thematic areas of physics such as condensed Matter Physics, Geo- and Space Physics, Electronics and Instrumentation, Nuclear and Radiation Physics and Laser Physics and Spectroscopy. This is necessary for scientific innovations capable of making transformative contribution to the world of knowledge and further addressing societal challenges of industrial and human resource development for the betterment of humanity.
By the end of the two year duration of the program the students should be able to:
- Demonstrate the most advanced and specialized skills and techniques required to solve critical problems in research and/or innovation; and extend and redefine existing knowledge.
- Demostrate an understanding of the subject area of study by being able to review and criticize available literature and identify a problem or question for investigation that has not been previously answered.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and skills of the ability to use scientific equipments to carry out a scientific investigation (research) in science, collect and analyze scientific data using appropriate data analysis tools.
- Illustrate the ability to explain research findings or scientific observations using appropriate methods of presentations such as graphs, figures or mathematical models and compare results with other findings from related works and draw intelligent recommendations.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate the research findings and contribute to knowledge both orally through seminars and in print by writing scientific papers/projects or thesis that adhere to acceptable guidelines for formal presentations.
- Demonstrate a substantial authority, mastery, innovativeness, autonomy, creativity, scholarly and professional integrity with sustainable commitment to the development of new ideas and processes at the forefront of the field of condensed matter physics.
- Apply acquired knowledge to identify a societal problem and undertake high level action research that contribute to the advancement of the subject of condensed matter physics as well as address emerging societal issues in industry and academia.
MODE OF DELIVERY
The programme is offered through Face to Face full time learning through:
- Lectures and tutorials with lecture notes, LCDs, Whiteboards/black boards Instruction Materials and equipment
- Group discussions amongst learners
- Class experimental demonstration/simulation
- Practical laboratory work with laboratory manuals as course materials
Physics students and graduates have attachment opportunities in the following sectors of the economy
- Energy sector such as Kenya power and lighting company (KPLC), Kenya power generating companies (such as Olkaria etc)
- Telecommunications and IT industry
- Satellite Space Stations (e.g., San Marco in Malindi)
- Aviation Industry such as Kenya Airways.
- Government agencies such as the Ministry of Public Works (Materials Branch), Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS), Kenya Industrial Research Development institute (KIRDI), Kenya Intellectual Property Institute (KIPI).
For more information, contact
- Candidates for the Ph.D program in the SPS shall follow course units of study as laid down in the approved programme either as a full time student or as a part time student.
- The full time programme shall run for a period of not less than four (6) semesters of 15 weeks each i.e. a minimum of 3 academic years.
- No candidate for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy shall be registered as a full-time student for more than ten semesters (5 years) or as a part-time student for more than fourteen semesters (7 years) without submitting his/her thesis, except by permission of Senate
- The structure of the Ph.D degree programme shall consist of Thesis Only.
The following shall be eligible to apply for registration for the degree of Doctor of
Philosophy in Physics in the University: - either
- A holder of a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in physics or equivalent from the University of Nairobi or equivalent academic qualifications from another institution recognized by the University of Nairobi Senate as of comparable status.
c) In either case, the applicant must be able to produce evidence, to the satisfaction of Senate, of his capacity to carry out original research.
d) In addition to producing evidence of eligibility for registration, candidates for the Doctor of Philosophy degree may be required to appear for interview by the Faculty/Institute/School/Centre concerned to determine their suitability for registration.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Physics Graduates have opportunities for:
- Postdoctorate reaserch
- Research/service providers in such sectors as Energy, Telecommunications, Electronics & Internationally.
Fees and Funding
|DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN PHYSICS (I801)
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)
|CAUTION - (ONCE)
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)
|LIBRARY FEES - PER ANNUAL
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)