PhD (Physics) scholarship for a female student
Project Title: Development of a Raman spectroscopic method for rapid real-time reproductive hormone assay in blood
Raman spectroscopy is a technique involving using a laser light to excite a sample of interest and the inelastically scattered (Raman) light collected and analyzed. The spectrum of Raman scattered light provides details of the Raman active molecules present in the sample under study. Since each molecule has unique energy structure, Raman spectral profiles of molecules are also specific to each. The intensity of the Raman bands is also known to be related to the number of scattering molecules, hence concentration. Utilizing these unique properties of the Raman scattering phenomenon in rapid and real-time reproductive hormone assay will be explored in this work.
This interdisciplinary project will be done at the laser physics and spectroscopy research group, Department of Physics, University of Nairobi. It is suitable for a FEMALE student who has the following qualifications:
- Has earned an MSc (physics) degree from a recognized university.
- Has obtained a PhD (physics) admission letter from the University of Nairobi.
- Has a good background in Chemometrics and is proficient in one or more of the following software packages: MATLAB, R, or Python.
This is a full-time study scholarship which covers tuition fees and a monthly stipend (KSH. 60,000) and will be renewable annually, subject to satisfactory progress, for a period of 3 years.
Eligible candidates should send their application (soft copy only) to:
- The Thematic Head
- Laser Physics and Spectroscopy
- Department of Physics
- University of Nairobi
using the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The application should include the following supporting documents:
- Certified MSc (Physics) certificate
- Certified MSc transcripts
- Abstract of MSc thesis
- PhD (Physics) admission letter from the University of Nairobi
- Copy of national ID or passport
- Name, mobile number, and email address of two (2) referees.
The deadline for application is 30th June 2021.