Members of the department were involved in the following corporate and community outreach activities:
- Corporate Activities
The Department of Physics hosted high school and primary school students and their teachers from the Oaks International Academy, Nairobi on 21st February, 2020 in a public lecture and sky viewing event at the School of Physical Sciences, Chiromo Campus.
The public lecture was titled: “A Brief Journey Through the Universe” and was delivered by Dr. Geoffrey O. Okeng’o, an astrophysicist and Senior Lecturer at the Department of Physics. In attendance of the event was the chairman of Department of Physics, staff and students from CBPS.
Fig. 3. Dr. Okengo delivering a lecturer to Students and staff from the Oaks International Academy, Nairobi during the sky viewing event at the School of Physical Sciences, Chiromo Campus in February, 2020.
Additionally, Prof. Julius M. Mwabora, Prof. Bernard Aduda and Dr. Kenneth Kaduki served as Council members in the Kenya National Academy of Sciences.
- Community Service
- Dr. Sabastian Waita, was appointed by the National Commission for Science, Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI) as a Committee member, Advisory policy on solar power for houses and businesses in April 2020. This policy will influence the regulatory framework instituted by the Kenya Government on solar home/businesses systems.
- Dr. S. Waita also directed the addition more solar panels to premises, and installation and commissioning of a 240W solar Photovoltaic system at a Secondary School. This activity enhances the uptake of the PV systems, which consequently has a direct positive effect on the environment, besides contributing to the meeting of the SDG on energy.
- The following staff served in School Board of Governors
- Prof. Julius M. Mwabora- Voi Secondary School (Member), Taita Taveta County and Mwakichuchu Secondary School (Member), Taita Taveta County.
- Dr. Sebastian Waita- Kalumbi secondary (Member), Makueni County and Gigiri secondary School (Member), Makueni County.
- Dr. Robinson Musembi –Katwala Secondary School (Chairman) and Kanzau Secondary School, Kitui County.